Easy Eats: Roasted Garlic Cheese Pita
This was a perfect Easy Eats Recipe for the Pita Pocket Lovers out there! The flavor was slightly sweet from the Sun-Dried Tomatoes, (which are my favorite!) but was balanced out perfectly with the Mushrooms and Mozzarella Cheese.
Broiling the Mushroom Caps and Garlic fills the kitchen with the most delicious aroma. The preparation part takes the longest, but cooking the Pita once it’s stuffed is actually a very quick process. I tried coating both sides of the first Pita with Butter and cooking it in a George Foreman Grill. The results were okay, but overall it compressed the Pita too tightly and I liked the more fluffy look as you can see in the photo. Next, I tried grilling the Pita on each side for a few minutes in the pan on the stove. This worked perfectly and gave me the look I wanted! Before you know it the Pita is grilled and the inside is gooey and delicious. You can never go wrong with Mozzarella, Tomatoes and Mushrooms!
In the future, I would try adding pieces of Chicken to the Pita for a whole new flavor. I think it would really compliment the Sun-Dried Tomato taste and it would also be a little more filling, which would make it a perfect meal.
I hope you enjoy this lovely Roasted Garlic Cheese Pita Recipe as much as I did! Happy cooking Easy Eaters!
- Preheat broiler.
- Wash and destem Mushrooms. Brush each cap with olive oil.
- Place Mushroom caps, rounded side up on a rack in a broiler pan.
- Broil 4 inches from heat until Mushrooms are hot for 2 to 3 minutes; turn Mushroom caps.
- Cook until Mushrooms are tender, 4 to 5 minutes longer.
- Remove Mushrooms from broiler; let cool and then chop.
- To roast Garlic, cut off the top half inch or so and trim the root end only if it needs cleaning. But do not detach the cloves.
- Put the head in a small ovenproof dish or pan.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of Olive Oil over the Garlic.
- Add ¼ Cup of Water to the pan.
- Place the pan in the center of a 500°F oven and roast for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Squeeze Garlic Cloves out of their skins and mash.
- Drain Sun-Dried Tomatoes and chop them.
- Combine Cheese, Mushrooms and Sun-Dried Tomatoes; set aside.
- Spread one side of Pita with Roasted Garlic.
- Top Pitas evenly with Mozzarella mixture; press gently to form an even thickness.
- Fold Pita in half and secure with a Toothpick.
- Brush outside with Butter and grill in skillet over medium-low heat until bread is golden and filling is hot, about 4 minutes on each side.