Easy Eats: Rustic Cinnamon Apple Tart
I grew up on homemade pies, cookies and all sorts of delicious treats. My mom worked at home and always made us delicious meals and even better desserts. My current household is a little different. My husband and I both work 40+ hours a week and between the housework and spending time with the kids, I don’t find time to bake from scratch. Until now that is. Okay, so it is not “technically” from scratch, but it is as good as this girl is going to get for a while.
This recipe tastes like it is homemade with a simple short cut, Pillsbury Ready Made Pie Crust. Simply unroll and you are done with the pie crust, no rolling pin needed. The next step could be the most time consuming of this recipe but I had a helping hand in the kitchen. I used my Pampered Chef Apple Peeler and Corer, WOW, I swear Pampered Chef is not paying me for this plug, I just love it that much. What could be a tedious job was quick and easy. My four cups of apples were peeled, sliced and cored in just a few minutes. All that is left to do is to add a few spices, place the apples in the middle of the crust, fold in and done, very simple. I washed the dishes from dinner, played some games with the kids and in 30 minutes I had a delicious “homemade” dessert that was warm, flaky and delicious.
Serving suggestion; top the tart with caramel syrup and serve with vanilla ice cream for the ultimate treat.
- 4 Cups Apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 T. Sugar
- 1 T. Cornstarch
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon
- ½ tsp. Vanilla
- 1 Pie Crust, prepared
- 1 Egg White
- 1 T. Water
- Combine 4 cups peeled and thinly sliced apples, 3 tbsps sugar, 1 tbsp cornstarch, ½ tsp cinnamon and ½ tsp vanilla extract.
- Place pie crust (at room temperature) on a greased baking sheet. Spoon the apple mixture into the center of the pie crust to within 2 inches of the edge.
- Fold the edge of the pie crust over the apple mixture. Brush the exposed crust with an egg wash (one egg white whipped with 1 tbsp water).
- Bake at 450 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until apples are tender and the crust is golden. Serve warm from the oven with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.