How to Build the Perfect Cheeseburger
Create the ultimate cheeseburger this National Cheeseburger Day.
As Jimmy Buffett would say, cheeseburgers and paradise go hand-in-hand. Jimmy likes his with lettuce and tomato, Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes, big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer. If you can’t manage to escape to paradise this National Cheeseburger Day, Sept. 18, Coborn’s Delivers will help you build a burger at home. We will deliver all the toppings and ingredients you need to take a cheeseburger from good to great.
Tips to Tackle the Perfect Cheeseburger
The cheeseburger is an all-American favorite, fully deserving a day dedicated to it’s greatness. You can thank Lionel Sternberger for this meaty meal. In 1924 he decided to slap a slice of American cheese onto a cooking hamburger at his father’s Pasadena, California sandwich shop, the Rite Spot. He liked it, and so did his dad. The rest is history! Today expert techniques have been tested to bring you a perfectly crafted cheeseburger.
- Choose great meet. For balanced flavor, combine equal parts ground chuck and ground sirloin.
- Perfectly sized patties. A burger that weighs 1/3 lb. and is about 1 inch thick will pick up grill flavor without overcooking.
- Keep it cool. Chill the patties in a fridge for at least a half hour before grilling them. This will help them hold together better and cook more evenly over the fire.
- Make an indentation in the center of each patty with your thumb. This will help keep the patty from puffing up.
- Start with a hot fire. A sizzling-hot grill will have the patties picking up yummy caramelized flavors. Start it hot and you can cool down as you go.
- Resist temptation to press down. Pushing down with a spatula on a patty will only release those juices you desire.
- Add the all-important cheese. Complement with toppings as you please.
- Toast the buns. Throw the buns on the grill for a quick toasting. This is truly what will make your cheeseburger delicious.
What toppings do you add to your cheeseburger? Or are you a purist, sticking with the classic cheese? Let us know!
Shop smarter with Coborn’s Delivers. We’re not your typical grocery store. We’re better. Shop from organized shopping lists, choose produce based on expert ratings, support local growers and suppliers, get recipe ideas, buy meals in 1-Click, and more.