Why Wine Glassware Matters
Anatomy of a wine glass.
- Stermware consists of 3 parts: the bowl, stem and base.
- The height of the stem and the width of the base are part of the glass design (known as the architecture).
- Grape varietal specific stemware features finely-tuned glass bowls consisting of 3 variables: shape, size and rim diameter.
- Grape varietal specific stemware has to translate the “message” of wine to the human senses. There are 4 sensations in wine.
Science behind the proper wine glass.
Pairing the perfect combination of a wine glass with your drink selection can make all the difference. There are two primary factors in proper glass making that affect your palate:
- The shape of the glass opening. The size and shape of the bowl can control and enhance the aroma. A big wine, like Bordeaux or Cabernet Sauvignon, in a small bowl will come off as sharp and harsh. Switch out for a large bowled glass and the aromas will expand offering a more appealing taste.
- The thickness of the glass. This places the wine on the appropriate designation on your tongue. An acidic wine like a Sauvignon Blanc should hit your tongue further back to deliver the best impression of the wine. Likewise a fruit driven wine, like some Red Blends, should hit the tip of your tongue first to emphasize that fruit and create a stronger impression.
Select your next bottle of wine to be delivered.
Once you have your glassware, you don’t need to make an extra trip to the liquor store to begin wine tasting. Just visit the CobornsDelivers Cellar. We offer many varietals of wine, including some organic options. While we may not live in Napa Valley, Minnesota is home to some great wineries. Alexis Bailly is one of them. Their motto is “where the grapes can suffer.” They embrace the tough winters we have in Minnesota and use the weather to create some incredible wines. We’re proud to offer Alexis Bailly Seyval Blanc and Voyageur wines.
Our staff are wine lovers too! Consider our Staff Picks here if you’re not sure what you want to order or you’re looking to try something new. Better yet – all the staff picks are under $20 so you won’t hurt your budget!
Have you joined our Wine Club yet? For every $150 you spend in the CobornsDelivers Cellar, you get a $10 credit towards a future wine purchase. Cheers!
Shop smarter with Coborn’s Delivers. We’re not your typical grocery store. We’re better. Shop from organized shopping lists, choose produce based on expert ratings, support local growers and suppliers, get recipe ideas, buy meals in 1-Click, and more.