Eat Healthier with NuVal
If you’ve fallen off the bandwagon with your healthy New Year’s resolution, the month of March is the perfect time to recommit to a healthy lifestyle because it’s National Nutrition Month. Coborn’s invites you to celebrate healthy living this month with the NuVal® Nutritional Scoring System in its stores.
What is NuVal?
NuVal is a revolutionary nutrition scoring system that applies a number from 1 to 100 to thousands of food items throughout grocery stores. The higher the score, the higher the nutrition of that item. It is a science-based nutrition system developed by David Katz, M.D., Director of the Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center and a dozen of the world’s leading minds in health and nutrition as a direct response to rapidly rising rates of obesity and diabetes in America.
How does NuVal Work?
The NuVal Nutrition Scoring System takes more than 30 different nutrients into account in developing a score through a complex algorithm. Boiled down to its simplest form, here’s how it works:
- Numerator: Nutrients with generally favorable effects on health are placed in the numerator, where higher values increase the NuVal score.
- Denominator: Nutrients with generally unfavorable effects on health are placed in the denominator, where higher values decrease the NuVal score.
- Numerator/Denominator = NuVal score
This program is perfect if you’re looking for a simple, easy way to find the most nutritious foods on our shelves. You’ll find NuVal scores on 16,000 grocery products – including meat, seafood, poultry, salty snacks, milk, yogurt, vegetables, cereal, bread, cookies, soft drinks, crackers, and more, throughout our stores and in our weekly ad. And, using these scores to make informed decisions is as easy as 1-2-3:
1. Look – It’s easy to incorporate NuVal scores into your shopping trip. Just look for the NuVal double-hexagon emblem and 1-100 food score on shelf tags next to the price.
2. Compare – The NuVal score’s convenient location on the shelf tag lets you compare overall nutrition the same way you compare price. No more scouring nutrition labels. With NuVal scores, you can see and compare food’s nutritional value in a single number at a glance.
3. Decide – Nuval scores make it easy to find more nutritious alternatives in nearly every department and aisle. So when you want to buy more nutritious foods, just look for those with higher NuVal scores. And, even if you don’t buy the product with the highest score, you have the nutrition information you need to make your decision quickly and easily.
Have you tried using the NuVal system while you shop? What do you think?